What's new on the 2017 model EdgeRunners? A BIKE LOAD of upgrades! Our goal with the 2017 model year bikes was to simplifying the decision making process while at the same time putting our all into releasing a stylish and refined cargo bike.
In previous years, we had various models that were different in a multitude of ways. We have fine tuned our product line to now include two stellar bike models: the EdgeRunner (ER) Swoop and the ER Classic. Along with nearly a dozen frame upgrades (detailed below), the new ER Swoop frame has a low step-over height to accommodate a wider range of rider heights with a frame that is strong, sleek and up to the task of any passenger or cargo load. Combined with our signature 20" rear wheel and low rear deck center of gravity, this makes for super rider friendly cargo and kiddo hauler. The ER Classic includes all the same frame upgrades but maintains that "classic" EdgeRunner frame geometry of a higher step-over height.
Check out all the awesome upgrades these sweet new steeds come with:
1. All Chromoly frame: The EdgeRunner (ER) Swoop EdgeRunner and Classic have frames made with all Chromoly steel, unlike the previous 24D EdgeRunner that was a combo Chromoly and high tensile steel frame. The 27D and 30D was all Chromoly as well.
2. Universal sizing: These new frames come in universal sizing which makes ordering easier and gives the bikes a wider range of fit. Previous year models had two different bike frame sizes: S/M and M/L. All frames for the ER Swoop and Classic are the same size and when you order your bike, you will get a seat post and handlebar stem. These new frames can fit riders ranging from 4’10” to 6’4”.
3. "Swoop" over height: The ER Swoop has a new lower step over height of 18.5" that will make mounting and dismounting easier. Previous year models had a stand over height of 25" on the S/M frame.
4. Thru axle front hub: The front wheel hub is now a thru axle hub. All previous year models were quick release front wheels. Thru axle hubs offer a stiffer connection of the wheel to the fork which helps with handling heavier loads on the bike. The thru axle hub connects the wheel and fork in a way that makes the wheel much safer and less likely for the axle to chose loose. Thru axle hubs are also lighter than quick release wheel hubs.
5. Hydraulic disc brakes: All ER Swoop and Classic models will come with hydraulic brakes. In previous years, only our premium bike models (30D, 8e, 10e) came with hydraulic disc brakes. These brakes require less maintenance. They also don’t loosen over time since they auto-adjust as the pads wear down. This means you will never have diminished braking. Hydraulic brakes are also more powerful and more reliable due to their dual pad movement.
6. Rear seat braces: Behind seat tube, there are two new braces that come from the seat tube and attach to the seat stays. This increases rigidity on the back end of the frame.
7. Wedding Rings: Along with the tried and true RackLocks (also found on previous year models), these two new WeddingRings help create a more secure connection between the V-racks and the bike frame. The WeddingRings bolt onto the bike frame and have an O-ring that the V-racks slide through. Once the V-racks are through the rings and secured in the bike frame with the RackLocks, the WeddingRings and tightened to pull the V-racks in toward the bike frame. These help create less movement of V-racks and hold V-racks tight to bike frame.
8. New X3 Bag System: All ER Swoops and Classics will come stock with a pair of WheelSkirts. WheelSkirts are the minimum requirement for safe riding of passengers on the FlightDeck as they will prevent passenger's feet from getting caught up in the wheel. Riders could upgrade the bag system from there depending on their needs: carrying groceries, carrying bulky items, etc. Check out our "X3 Bag System" knowledge based article for more details about this awesome new bag system. More info on the awesome new bag system can be found here: http://xtracycle.happyfox.com/kb/article/75-the-new-x3-bag-system
9. KickBack 3 (not pictured, optional): The new KB3 not come included in the base price on the ER Swoop and Classic. This allows customers the option to either opt out of a kickstand, use another brand's kickstand (i.e. The Rolling Jackass) or upgrade with an Xtracycle brand KB3 kickstand. If purchased along with a bike or Leap kit, $50 will be knocked off the price for a total of $150.
10. Centered rear wheel: The rear derailleur on the ER Swoop and Classic has been off-set inward a few millimeters to make it more centered on the frame. This gives the rear wheel has more even spoke tension, making it stronger. The rear wheel is still a quick release (unlike the new front thru axle) since having a thru axle rear-wheel is not as beneficial as a front thru axle wheel hub.
11. 27 gears on all bikes: All ER Swoop and Classic models come with 27 gears (3 in the front, 9 in the rear). Previous year models came in various gear combos (24, 27, 30).
12. Adjustable deck height: For riders who want to lower the deck height even further than the stock 23.5", the V-racks can be cut down to accommodate a deck height of 19.5".